MPDPS (Malaysian Private Dental Practitioners’ Society), as it was initially christened, was formed in 1966. The founding members included Dr Lim Chee Shin and Dato’ Gerald De Silva. Its initial objective was to complement the activities of the Malaysian Dental Association, and to uphold and represent the interests of private dental practitioners.
Highlights of the activities over the years include:
- Setting up a company Bersatu Dental Supplies (BDS) to control the escalating monopoly price of dental materials and the decision to purchase cheaper dental materials for private practitioners.
- Organizing continuing dental education/development seminars for dentists, most notably the annual CPD Blockbuster series and the annual Scientific Congress. From time to time, talks on personal development such as accounting, grooming, insurance and photography were also conducted by MPDPS. These events also involve the participation of dental trade companies in the trade exhibition for them to promote and highlight their products.
- Organizing the annual Nurses’ Seminar, the only event of its kind, to better and further equip our dental surgery assistants and receptionists.
- Publishing the official MPDPS newsletter, Probe Magazine.
- Organizing the biannual President’s Ball dinner event to honor MPDPS Presidents past and present, which was initiated in 1990 by Dr Patmanathan.
- In 1989, an MPDPS logo competition was carried out and the present logo was selected to represent the society.
- Organizing the biannual MPDPS Treasure Hunt – an event to pit the skills of member dentists, family and friends in a vehicular-based fun hunt around town.
- Publishing the one-of-its-kind annual Clinical Appointment Book. The large sized and friendly format assists the dentists’ effective and efficient appointment scheduling.
- The society was renamed Malaysian Private Dental Parishioners Association (MPDPA) during Dr Wong Foot Meow’s tenure as President in 2000. This was to reflect the growing membership and stature of this association.
- Beginning in year 2004, MPDPA have its own secretariat with a full time staff to assist in the administration and running of the association.
The founder members of MPDPS can be justly proud of their foresight and the progress the society has made over the years. Our CPD Blockbuster Series and annual Scientific Congress featured various international and regional academcians and clinical experts in the field of dentistry, to enthusiastic and appreciative dentist participants. In 2004 we hosted an international event with the collaboration of FDI, MDA and WDES.
Our Nurses’ Seminars often receive overwhelming participation, the current one registering 500 participants, and even some from Brunei. Our membership has grown leaps and bound to 500 dentists, which represents 60% of active private practitioners in Malaysia.
MPDPA continues to strive to further enhance the quality and the scope of its activities for the benefit of practicing dentists and the profession of dentistry in Malaysia.